Follow CUcheatsheet on Twitter

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Horizontal Analysis.

When I mentioned to a co-worker that I was going to work on my Horizontal Analysis, she asked me if that meant that it was "nappy" time again. The common response to that is "very funny, but don't quit your day job to do stand-up". My response was "that's funny! you ought to quit your job to do stand-up". As of this writing, she is still here . . . but I'll keep you posted. I asked everyone to laugh at every little thing she says.

A Horizontal Analysis can take many different forms and is a fundamental tool that many finance and accounting professionals use to analyze the balance sheet and income statement. If you download all of your general ledger accounts and put them side by side in a spreadsheet, you can easily and quickly spot trends. It is also used to detect potential errors. For instance, if a GL account balance suddenly spikes up or down one month; it's worth a look to see if something was posted incorrectly. The possibilities are endless! I know what you're thinking . . . "those finance and accounting types lead VERY interesting lives!!!"

A pretty good example and definition can be found at http://www.accountingformanagement.com/horizontal_analysis_or_trend_analysis.htm

Stay tuned. One of these days, we'll talk about VERTICAL Analysis.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.